Saturday, September 29, 2012

Subway To Sally - Kreuzfeuer

Folk Metal/Rock
Nuclear Blast
2009






1. Aufstieg
2. Judaskuss
3. Besser Du Rennst
4. So Fern, So Nah
5. Die Jagd
6. Einsam
7. Komm in Meinen Schlaf
8. Angelus
9. Krähenkönig
10. Niemals
11. Versteckt
12. Vater

Subway To Sally are certainly a band who suffer from retarded name syndrome. I have to admit that the name initially turned me off to even giving the band a chance. The first time I heard of Subway To Sally the name just made me assume that they must be some emo or metalcore band, but that is far from the truth.

The best way I can think of to describe Subway To Sally is Rammstein gos to a Renaissance fair. The riffs often has a heavy industrial feel when they kick in to gear but there is also a fair amount of orchestration and non-standard instrument use. The members of the band members have everything from bagpipes, flutes, violins, and lutes listed among their credits. An interesting combo that all comes together to conjure dark and heavy atmospheres with a unique touch. Also worth noting is that, like Rammstein and some other bands of this vein, the singing is entirely in German. I've talked to some people who can't get into music with lyrics/singing they can't understand, but this simply isn't the case for this reviewer. As long as it sounds good... I'm in.

In some ways I think calling Subway To Sally any form of traditionally defined metal is a stretch, but I figured I'd review them anyways as A) I've seen them listed on metal sites such as the archives, B) They're on Nuclear Blast, and C) I just plain like them. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes bottom heavy industrial riffing and/or folk touches to their metal. The use of many instruments and world music sort of atmosphere coupled with something that still comes off as heavy and dark is a win in my book.

Highlights: Einsam, Judaskuss, Vater

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment