Saturday, September 15, 2012

Stream Of Passion - Embrace The Storm

Progressive/Atmospheric
Inside Out
2005






1. Spellbound
2. Passion
3. Deceiver
4. I'll Keep on Dreaming
5. Haunted
6. Wherever You Are
7. Open Your Eyes
8. Embrace the Storm
9. Breathing Again
10. Out in the Real World
11. Nostalgia
12. Calliopeia

Let's start off by saying this... I've never been a fan of Arjen Lucassen. Anyone who knows me is well aware of this. In fact I'd go as far as to call Ayreon audio poison. But I heard a sample off this one early on and shockingly liked it so I gave the album a listen.

First off, this album comes off as much more coherent and less experimental than Arjen's past projects. I credit this to Stream Of Passion being much more of a band than a project. There's a steady band lineup here and having one vocalist really gives this more of an overall identity. The singer, Marcela, has worked with Arjen in the past and I think he made a wise choice choosing her as the sole voice of Stream Of Passion. She has a powerful delivery and also brings a lot to the table with her violin. The violin playing is actually one of the strongest points of this album. The sound here really wouldn't be the same without it.

Overall, the sound of Stream Of Passion is very minimalistic. At times the music is very quiet and there's not a whole lot going on, focusing entirely on the vocals. This approach creates a pretty good chill out sort of vibe, but at times it does get to drag a bit. That is the one real flaw of this release that I can hear. I see what Arjen was going for but at times it's just TOO minimalistic. Stream Of Passion isn't anything entirely new as the female sung atmospheric music has been done over and over again but they do have their own vibe, largely because of the violin. At times the band does remind me of Lana Lane though. Perhaps Arjen was influenced in the time when he played guitar for her. Whatever the reason for this band... Arjen should stick with it. Fans of stuff like Lana Lane and Within Temptation should like this.

Highlights: Passion, Deceiver, Out In The Real World

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment