Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pyramaze - Legend Of The Bonecarver

Power/Prog
Nightmare
2006






1. Era Of Chaos
2. The Birth
3. What Lies Beyond
4. Ancient Words Within
5. Souls In Pain
6. She Who Summons Me
7. Legend Of The Bone Carver
8. Bring Back Life
9. Blood Red Skies
10. Tears Of Hate

What we have here is yet another Lance King band. When it comes to Lance King I tend to be of the mind you can't get too much of a good thing though. Wherever Lance gos, great singing and incredibly memorable vocal melodies will surely follow.

On this album, Pyramaze have really established themselves as the best thing Lance has done outside of Balance Of Power for me. Really in many ways this band resembles BoP. While I find Pyramaze a little ballsier/heavier there is a similarly creative blend of power and progressive with a focus on an intricate, melodic approach. Everything just comes together so beautifully and Lance's high end vocals shine above subtle orchestration, piano usage, and some killer riffs. Any fan of Balance Of Power, Shaaman, Kamelot, Pagan's Mind, etc should eat this band up I would think. Truly one of the best newer bands out there and I hope Lance sticks with this one. I think the only nitpick I would have about this album is narrative tracks. I really don't like listening to music with cheeseball narration throughout instead of singing, but there are only two relatively short ones of those so I'll live. Otherwise the narration is used very sparingly. Also worth noting is an incredible duet ballad Lance sings with a female vocalist I've never heard of before, but who is fucking excellent. The track is called She Who Summoned me and the vocalist is named Christina Oberg. Two great vocal talents and truly one of the best ballads I've heard in recent memory.

Highlights: Ancient Words Within, She Who Summoned Me, What Lies Beyond, Souls In Pain

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment