Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pretty Maids - Wake Up To The Real World

Melodic Rock/Metal
Frontiers
2006






1. Wake Up to the Real World
2. All in the Name of Loves
3. I Am the End
4. As Guilty as You
5. Why Die for a Lie
6. Such a Rush
7. Where True Beauty Lies
8. Brave Young New Breed Terminal Violence
9. Perfect Strangers
10. Another Shot of Your Love

Pretty Maids are a band who've been around for a good long time and this one marks their 11th full length studio release. Honestly though. I've never paid a great deal of attention to them. This is in fact the only album I've heard of theirs besides their debut Red, Hot, And Heavy. A decent album... I just never really got around to listening to more for whatever reason.

Well this album doesn't seem so removed from where they were in 1984. The sound and style of this album have a certain retro feel that hearkens back to melodic rock/hair metal in many places. The band started off as a cover act who did a lot of Thin Lizzy songs and I can definitely still hear it in their sound. The album tends to walk a line between more power/traditional-centric material and melodic rock/metal in the vein of Thin Lizzy, Scorpions, Skid Row, etc and often shifts modes mid-song. There are also a couple ballads which could be on one of those Monster Ballads albums. In the heavier moments I am reminded a bit of newer Riot and another comparison would be Axel Rudi Pell who walks a similar line between melodic rock and power metal.

At times this release is a little too glammy for me, but it's not a bad overall listen and I liked it more than I thought I would really. The ballads are pretty light and 80s but they don't strike me as too overblown and pompous and come off alright. I do think I'd like them more if this album had more hard hitters like Brave Young Breed and Why Die For A Lie though. The covert of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers is well done and slides easily into their sound as well.

If you're into 80s melodic rock than I'd bet there's something to like here. Got to be able to handle a little 80s commercial/polished touch to the material. If you miss those days then this is certainly a shot of a sound that isn't that widely used here in the 2000s.

Highlights: Brave Young Breed, Why Die For A Lie, Perfect Strangers

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment