Saturday, September 29, 2012

Praying Mantis - Sanctuary

NWOBHM/Melodic Metal/Rock
Frontiers
2009






1. In Time
2. Restless Heart
3. Tears In The Rain
4. So High
5. Lonely Way Home
6. Touch The Rainbow
7. Threshold Of A Dream
8. Playing God
9. Highway
10. Sanctuary

Praying Mantis are one of those bands that I've heard of in the past, but never really checked out. As this is my first experience with the band, all I really had to draw on was the Iron Maiden connections. In the past I had heard of various early Maiden members being in and out of this NWOBHM band.

Well I wouldn't go into this one expecting too much in terms of heaviness. This is by no means a purely metal album and is sort of reaching in terms of what I normally review. I have done some vaguely outside metal ones in the past though and this has enough metal in it and connection to the genre. A friend described this band to me as sort of a lighter weight Incubus and I can definitely hear that. There is a very melodic approach to these songs and they are more about creating smooth atmospheres than rocking out. This review seems a bit light on detail as I write it, but basically I think melodic rock covers this album's sound and you've probably heard something like it. Certainly this is not the most original sound in the world, but this band has been around awhile and the songs stand up on their own. Think of something along the lines of lighter Y&T maybe.

Basically if you like catchy melodic songwriting that crosses over between metal and rock than this might be an album for you. I review this one because I really do think it has some good songs and is worth the promotion.

Highlights: In Time, So High, Threshold Of A Dream

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment