Saturday, September 22, 2012

OverKill - Immortalis

Thrash Metal
Bodog Music
2007






1. Devils in the Mist
2. What It Takes
3. Skull and Bones
4. Shadow of a Doubt
5. Hellish Pride
6. Walk Through Fire
7. Head On
8. Charlie Get Your Gun
9. Hell Is
10. Overkill V

Another couple years and here is another OverKill album. ReliXIV struck me as being on the mediocre side and as OverKill are one of my favorite thrash acts in existence I certainly was hoping for better on this one.

Well this is a bit better than ReliXIV, but it's still not anything to write home about and still ends up leaving me with a half hearted reaction. This one has not really stood up to the repeated listens I have given it. The problem with this release is that everything seems to be too concerned with groove and too little with thrashing out. There are some heavy moments but the album seems to be caught up in a chug that it cannot escape. Not much here really gets the head banging and to me that is a let down. For what they are, the tracks here have an ok sound and some moderately catchy grooves, but they grew old kinda fast for me as they are overused and predictable. As I said, I do prefer this to the last album as it is a bit more consistent and doesn't have blatantly annoying songs like Old School, but this one has to fall in the middle of the OverKill catalogue and isn't quite the jump back to form I was hoping for. Devil's In The Mist is a great album opener and thrashes with force, but after the first 3 tracks the speed dies out for the most part.

Not a bad release, but certainly not a great one or an album to match the classics the band has made in the past. I'm starting to wonder if this well is finally going to go dry. Not hard to imagine it happening really after the last couple albums and the fact this is album number 15. Whatever the case, OverKill has made it's contribution to metal... I'm just hoping for more.

Highlights: Devils In The Mist, What It Takes

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment