Saturday, September 15, 2012

Motorhead - Kiss Of Death

Heavy Metal
Sanctuary
2006





1. Sucker
2. One Night Stand
3. Devil I Know
4. Trigger
5. Under The Gun
6. God Was Never On Your Side
7. Living In The Past
8. Christine
9. Sword of Glory
10. Be My Baby
11. Kingdom of the Worm
12. Going Down
13. RAMONES

Another new Motorhead album is no real shock as we get these things every 1 or 2 years just about. Actually the words shocking and Motorhead rarely go together as you can pretty well count on the same old from these guys from album to album. Not like they're constantly mixing things up in the songwriting.

Maybe I'm feeling particularly cynical, but I can't seem to get into this Motorhead album at all. Despite the past couple also being nothing new I enjoyed them alright but I just can't seem to enjoy this album much. Maybe their lack of ideas and formulatic upbeat, blues based material is finally starting to overstay it's welcome for me. I guess I've reached the point where I'm wondering why I'm listening to material that sounds pretty well identical to the old but not as memorable. The first 5 tracks are so formulatic it's nearly painful and I was honestly getting really bored listening to it. Track 6 though, God Was Never On Your Side, is the definite highlight of the album. Moody little number that starts off slow and soft and actually reminds me a bit of a Johnny Cash song. From there it builds up well into a little more heaviness but retains a sort of moody, dark quality and is just a very good song. Living In The Past is pretty decent as well as it just comes off as a very aggressive crunch number. Nothing new but it hung with me more than the others.

Overall, if you're a Motorhead fanboy this should be familiar and keep you fairly happy if not overly enthused. For anyone else... well if you don't have their other, better albums then get those before considering this one. This album is about as inspired as the album title.

Highlights: God Was Never On Your Side, Living In The Past

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment