Saturday, September 29, 2012

Megadeth - Endgame

Thrash/Heavy Metal
Roadrunner
2009






1. Dialectic Chaos (Intro)
2. This Day We Fight!
3. 44 Minutes
4. 1,320
5. Bite The Hand That Feeds
6. Bodies Left Behind
7. Endgame
8. The Hardest Part Of Letting Go... Sealed With A Kiss
9. Headcrusher
10. How The Story Ends
11. The Right To Go Insane

I had a pretty good feeling about this album going in. It started with the announcement of Chris Broderick as the new second guitarist in Megadeth. Certainly, the guy is one hell of a shredder. Then when I heard songs like Headcrusher and 1,320 I just got further pumped. Megadeth really bringing the thrash? Could it be?

From the intro track my hopes continue as the album starts on a shredding instrumental intro. I love the guitar and the sound on this and it's a worthy inclusion. A lot of times I think intros are throwaways, but this is not the case here. From there we launch into a pure thrash metal track, This Day We Fight! which is a trip back to the old school of Megadeth. People have been asking for it forever and now it's here... at least partly. Would I say this whole album is thrash metal? That might be a bit of a stretch, but it is the thrashiest thing they've done in years. At the very least four tracks here (This Day We Fight!, 1,320, Headcrusher, and Endgame) are pure thrashing and I'd say both Headcrusher and 1,320 are new Megadeth classics. Most of the other songs find themselves sounding like material somewhere between Countdown and Youthanasia, which isn't really a bad thing by me either.

Overall I'd say this is a pretty good release that will please some fans who want Megadeth to hit high speed more. Now it's time for the nitpicks. This Day We Fight! and Endgame are pretty decent, but really they don't manage to reach the greatness of Megadeth's old thrash albums. Pretty good yes? Have I heard better? Yes. The same gos for most of the rest of the tracks that recall Countdown & Youthanasia. Good, but I've heard better from the band. I think this comes off as an overall solid album, but I only really see two tracks deserving of real continued live play. In terms of their more recent albums, I would say this is more consistent than The System Has Failed and brings more thrashing to the table, but it also has fewer real highlights. I'd say that album had a number of absolute great songs and this has a couple.

Basically, Endgame lacks the number of stand out songs to quite carry it to the next level. More consistent than System, but doesn't reach quite the same heights as often. I'd rate the albums about equally as it's a case of hits vs overall consistency. Certainly, this album is pretty good and worth picking up for the Megadeth fan. I'm not disappointed as this is a solid listen and much better than United Abominations.

Highlights: Headcrusher, 1,320, This Day We Fight!, 44 minutes

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment