Saturday, September 29, 2012

Leaves Eyes - Njord

Symphonic/Atmospheric Metal
Napalm

2009






1. Njord
2. My Destiny
3. Emerald Island
4. Take the Devil in Me
5. Scarborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkel cover)
6. Through Our Veins
7. Irish Rain
8. Northbound
9. Ragnarok
10. Morgenland
11. The Holy Bond
12. Frøya's Theme

Leaves Eyes aren't exactly what I would call one of my favorite bands or even more specifically female fronted atmospheric bands, but I've enjoyed their releases... particularly the last album Vinland Saga. Not every band can be a favorite or the best and this band has put out some pretty good enjoyable melodies, if not the most standout in the genre.

With their new album Njord they pretty much match my expectations. There is a certain charm to Liv Kristine's sweet, kind of innocent sounding voice and I do like some of the big epic themes of vikings, etc. A lot of this album does bleed together for me though and I find that it's a lack of standouts that makes the album simply ok. Certainly the sound isn't bad, but I don't hear a lot of great songwriting to keep coming back for. Very little here leaves a lasting impression and this basically sounds like Vinland Saga part two for better or for worse. Certainly, I did like Vinland Saga a lot better than their first release and the stylistic shift was appreciated, but I can't help but feel like this is a rehash.

What else is there to say except this is Vinland Saga, but not quite as good? That pretty much sums up my thoughts and the review. If you liked Vinland Saga then you'll find the sound familiar, but maybe a little too familiar. If you like this sort of flowing atmospheric metal with a touch of the epic power vibe than this could be good enough for a listen, but this isn't the sort of album to make top lists.

Highlights: My Destiny, Northbound

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment