Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Leaves Eyes - Vinland Saga

Symphonic/Atmospheric Metal
Napalm Records

2005






01. Vinland Saga
02. Farewell Proud Men
03. Elegy
04. Solemn Sea
05. Leaves’ Eyes
06. The Thorn
07. Misseri (Turn Green Meadows into Grey)
08. Amhrán (Song of the Winds)
09. New Found Land
10. Mourning Tree
11. Twilight Sun
12. Ankomst

This new Leaves Eyes is one that's been out for a bit now, but I'm just now getting to giving it a proper listen and review. Not one I really rushed into as I kind of looked at it and went 'Oh... another female fronted atmospheric goth band...'. While I do like the style quite a bit the scene has been getting choked to death with the many that just keep coming out and as such I'd never really given Leaves Eyes a shot. In retrospect this is a band I should've given some time.

At first I have to say I was undecided about this album. On first listen I wasn't too sure about the sound here, most notably the vocals of Liv (Ex-Theatre Of Tragedy). She has a pretty unique voice that took a bit to grow on me, but now that I've given the band a few spins I find I really like them. The thing that threw me at first was her way of sounding very childish and innocent at times. Struck me as a bit sugary sweet, but after listening a bit I've found that's actually her charm. It adds a different feel to the music that distinguishes the band somewhat from the pack. Also, that's not all she's capable of as she switched in a breath from childish to deeper and more powerful operatics. An interesting blend that really suits the music which is gothy and somber but at times slightly operatic ala Within Temptation or possibly Epica. The odd death vocals to creep in here and there throughout the album as well in the typical After Forever/Epica sort of fashion, but I actually find they work better here than with either of those bands. The lyrics are also an interesting touch as they give the music a somewhat epic feel and really calling this goth is a very loose definition. Worth checking out for fans of atmospheric, female fronted metal.

Highlights: Farewell Proud Men, Elegy, Twilight Sun, New Found Land

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment