Friday, September 21, 2012

Lake Of Tears - Moons And Mushrooms

Psychedelic Doom/Goth
Dockyard 1
2007






1. Last Purple Sky
2. Island Earth
3. You Better Breathe While There's Still Time
4. Waiting Counting
5. Like A Leaf
6. Children Of The Grey
7. Head On Phantom
8. Planet Of The Penguins

Lake Of Tears are a band I've long enjoyed and a new album by them is always a welcome thing by me. Actually, Lake Of Tears are one of the first non-radio/mainstream sort of metal bands I got into so I suppose they have a special place with me. Through all their experimentation, I've always liked their sound wherever they took it.

While I have always enjoyed their music, as I mentioned, there is no denying the last couple albums have drifted a bit outside of the metal realm at times. In there experimentation with trip, Psychedelic, and atmospheric music sometimes things have headed in lighter directions and the guitar has taken a back seat at times. All good songs in my opinion, but not quite the beautiful metal fusion of albums like A Crimson Cosmos and Forever Autumn. Well on this album... it's back in all it's glory.

Lake Of Tears really manage to put out an album on par with their best here and this is definitely the most guitar driven and metal oriented they have been since Forever Autumn. The songwriting is back in that mold that marked their peak and they really have not lost it. Some might call it a step back but I think it's a welcome one and the release I've really been craving for awhile now. Full of atmosphere and those Pink Floyd sort of influences but with enough heaviness to make this a clear cut metal album, this one just succeeds on all levels.

Really the only nitpick I have with Moons & Mushrooms is the length and it's what keeps this album at a 3.5 instead of a 4.0. In this era 37 minutes is just pushing it a bit much. When I buy an album of that length I just feel shortchanged. All in all though I'd say this is a worthy pickup for the killer songs included. If you're a Lake Of Tears fan this is a must and if you like emotional, flowing music with somber goth and doom tones than I would recommend giving this underrated band their due.

Highlights: Last Purple Sky, Island Earth, Waiting Counting

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment