Saturday, September 29, 2012

Heavenly - Carpe Diem

Symphonic Power Metal
AFM
2009






1. Carpe Diem
2. Lost In Your Eyes
3. Farewell
4. Fullmoon
5. A Better Me
6. Ashen Paradise
7. The Face Of The Truth
8. Ode To Joy
9. Save Our Souls

Heavenly are a band that I came into as a fan somewhat in the middle of their career. Their first couple albums didn't really strike me and it wasn't until their third, Dust To Dust, that I found myself enjoying the band. The epic symphonic sound the band adopted on that one towards the presentation of a full blown theatrical concept album won me over. Their last Virus, while good, didn't quite hit me on the mark like Dust To Dust did so I came into this one hoping for better.

Thankfully, better is indeed what I got. This album reminds me why I suddenly became a fan of this band and hits the formula that made Dust To Dust a winner. While I think I still prefer that album and it's dramatic storytelling, this one again recaptures the sort of epic bombast that drove the sound of Dust To Dust. As before, things have a somewhat light and 'happy' flow, with a whole lot of orchestrated power and theatrical qualities. Fans of epic fantasy metal should take note of this as the band once again reminds me of a great union of Gamma Ray and Rhapsody into a powerhouse of fist pumping epic anthems with some softer touches of melodic passages. Another band that comes to mind is Queen actually. Just listen to the song A Better Me and you'll hear it. The epic bombast of that song reminds me very much of something that could've appeared on A Kind Of Magic. Make no mistake in the fact it's metal, but Queen had touches of that at times as well (if not a metal band).

In summary, if you like epic bombastic fantasy metal than this is probably for you. This style can be a love or hate affair, but if you're in the love category than this may well be worth your time. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear from Heavenly and is a worthy follow up to the spirit and sound of Dust To Dust.

Highlights: Lost In Your Eyes, A Better Me, Carpe Diem, Ode To Joy

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment