Saturday, September 15, 2012

Edguy - Rocket Ride

Power/Glam Metal
Nuclear Blast
2006






1. Sacrifice
2. Rocket Ride
3. Wasted Time
4. Matrix
5. Return To The Tribe
6. The Asylum
7. Save Me
8. Catch Of The Century
9. Out Of Vogue
10. Superheroes
11. Trinidad

Edguy's new album Rocket Ride has been worrying me for quite some time before I even listened to it. As a fan of the band, the direction that the EP hinted at worried the hell out of me and it would seem that maybe I wasn't even scared enough of what was to come. Let's put it this way... this band is minus at least one fan and likely many more when this album is released.

Edguy have established themselves as an epic power sort of band with big choruses and homages to bands like Iron Maiden and Helloween in the past. Driven by heavy sounding riffs and vocals that often resemble one Bruce Dickinson I've always thought of them as one of the stronger bands in power metal in fact and their ability to create that epic vibe has been amazing to me. On this release what we have is simply put a waste of talent. Instead of crafting powerful epics and big catchy choruses the band has opted to let their occasional goofiness spiral way out of control.

Imagine Lavatory Love Machine made into an album and that's kind of what you have here. Gone is the epic power band I used to love that took cues from Maiden/Dickinson and in it's place is something that sounds like a glam metal leftover. This album is disgustly commercial in a way that has long been gratefully left for dead. I swear the song Save Me could be on a monster ballads comp wedged between Warrant - Heaven Isn't Too Far Away and Slaughter - Fly To The Angels. Trinidad is also a particularly horrendous one that reminds me of a combo between later Aerosmith and The Beach Boys - Kokomo. We have an early contender for worst song of the year ladies and gentlemen. One of the worst and most fucking annoying songs I've ever heard in my life. The 'falalalala' backing vocal line had my jaw on the floor when I listened to this song. Couldn't even believe I was hearing this sort of pure shit from a band I used to enjoy. Even the heavier songs remind me of more upbeat glam songs and the lead single Superheroes sounds like something that could've been put out by Bon Jovi. The only track I find remotely enjoyable is the song The Asylum which after a mellow acoustic intro kicks in with a heavy, slow paced riff and epic style that reminds me of The Piper Never Dies. That is it though... the only song I enjoy in the slightest. One final note... one of the bonus tracks is called Fucking With Fire (Hair Force One)... I rest my case. RIP the Edguy I once loved.

Highlights: The Asylum

Rating - 1.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment