Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Progressive Metal
Atlantic
2005






1. The Root Of All Evil
2. The Answer Lies Within
3. These Walls
4. I Walk Beside You
5. Panic Attack
6. Never Enough
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Octavarium

Sometimes reviewing is a fun way of expressing opinions and other times it's a chore. This is the later. I debated with myself whether I was going to even bother reviewing this CD since anyone who's talked metal with me for 10 minutes or more knows I hate the band... but in the end I figured it was a new release with a lot of interest. So here gos nothin. I listened to this album several times through so you better fucking appreciate it.

If you're a fan of the band then I'd say chances are you're going to like this. Dream Theater takes a step back to a style that fans should find much more appealing then the nu-metal tinged Train Of Thought. This is the style they've been known and respected for. This being a "progressive" step for the band is questionable as it doesn't really break new ground, but if you like Awake and Images & Words then you should find plenty to be happy with here. The music continues to be technically apt and there's plenty of guitar noodling and keyboard buttfuckery. I still think this band needs to quit sucking each other's dicks about how skillful they are and focus on songwriting, but that's never gonna happen.

Worth mentioning for me to get my fill of DT digs in are Octavarium and The Answer Lies Within. The sugary sweet, sappy The Answer Lies Within nearly put me into a diabetic coma listening to it. One of the lamest ballads I've ever heard... I shit you not. Octavarium is typical show off noodling once it starts but getting there is the equivelant riding through mud with one of those motorscooters for the old & disabled. That song Drags for nearly 12 minutes before actually doing anything beyond slow and repetitve mellow intro. I swear I was nodding off trying to get through that.

Well there you have it. Most of you have probably run out and got it today anyways. I was just in no hurry to get to this. Fans will probably like it, but since my rating is based on how much I enjoyed it...

Highlights: No

Rating - 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment