Sunday, September 16, 2012

Down - III: Over The Under

Groove/Stoner Metal
ILG/Warner
2007






1. 3 Suns and 1 Star
2. The Path
3. N.O.D.
4. I Scream
5. On March the Saints
6. Never Try
7. Mourn
8. Beneath the Tides
9. His Majesty the Desert
10. Pillamyd
11. In the Thrall of It All
12. Nothing in Return (Walk Away)

After 5 years, Down return once again but this time as something more of the main band for Phil Anselmo. Certainly the guys from Crowbar & COC have other priorities as well, but with the death of Superjoint Ritual, it's been awhile since anyone has heard anything from Anselmo. I have to say I was excited for this one as there is no more Pantera to hope for and I'm certainly not going to be listening to Hell Yeah (or Damageplan for that matter). I've always been a fan of Anselmo's vocals and Pantera as mainstream or whatever people may consider them. Nothing wrong with a little success.

On this album Down sounds pretty much like they always have to me. Anselmo shifts from harsher to moodier vocals and the music follows suit and is driven by thick groove guitar. Pretty much what you might expect of the band and style considering their previous albums and the other bands the members have been involved with really. If you liked the other two albums then I don't see why you wouldn't like this one. I know some people felt the second album didn't live up to the first but I never really got that one personally so I can't say to those people if this is a 'return to form'. To me the form never really changed all that much. I will say this is definitely not just a screamer or heavy sort of album and Phil shows he can still handle a wider range of music than that. Some of the album's best moments come in the form of the slow rolling and moody tracks which sometimes have an almost southern blues feel to them. Phil really drives these along and adds to the mood with some good soulful vocals and the variation makes for a good, complete album experience.

Basically, the verdict is a solid experience for the Down fan and people who enjoy that sort of southern groove sound. It's always good hearing these boys are back together again and with the success of the act in radio & the mainstream concert circuit such as on Ozzfest it's a wonder to me that this band only surfaces every 5 - 7 years for an album. I know the members have other bands, but this band has really grabbed people's attentions over the years... especially for a band that has such long down time to be forgotten.

Highlights: On March The Saints, Nothing In Return, Never Try

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment