Sunday, September 16, 2012

Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands

Doom Metal
Nuclear Blast
2007





1. Prologue
2. Emperor Of The Void
3. Devil Seed
4. Of Stars And Smoke
5. Demonia 6
6. Destroyer
7. Man Of Shadows
8. Clearsight
9. The Opal City (Interlude)
10. Embracing The Styx

Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus brought together... that's gotta rank among a doom metal fan's wet dreams. Certainly my jaw dropped when I heard Robert Lowe was coming on as the new singer of Candlemass. With how much I loved the last release by the band and how much talent I knew Robert Lowe had to lend to the band I had to expect great things. While I love Messiah too, Candlemass had already proven themselves capable of making a great album without him. The only question for me was if this album would live up the potential I knew it had.

After listening to King Of The Grey Islands, I can say the results are nothing short of stellar. Robert Lowe brings surprising energy to the songs for Candlemass and I think the music itself will raise a lot of eyebrows. The changes from the last album are very evident as this feels less like a new Candlemass album and more like a lost old one. Truly the doomy lurch of many of this tracks recalls the brightest (or darkest) moments of Candlemass' early career and had me wanting to jump out of my seat and do some doom dancing. This is powerful, dark, atmospheric and Lowe's vocals crackle with energy and purpose. This is the Candlemass people love and the reason they are hailed as being among the best the genre has ever produced. The sound, the vocals, the striking riffs... everything about this release is so powerfully dark and metal that it could bring tears to these metal eyes. Even knowing I really enjoyed the last album and that Rob Lowe killed... I could not have predicted such an album that I truly feel comfortable calling a new doom metal classic. This combo of Candlemass and Lowe is just huge and I'm already hungering for more. Candlemass as great as they are and have always been... have just stepped it up a notch.

Anyone who likes dark doom and gloom music that drips with heaviness needs this album ASAP. If you dare call yourself a Candlemass or doom metal fan than I can't imagine you not loving this one. Absolutely awesome and truly gratifying to see a classic band come through in such fine fashion. This album manages to bring refreshingly new vocals into the mix coupled with classic Candlemass heavy gloom and will be a hard one to top when it comes album of the year time.

Highlights: Emperor Of The Void, Of Stars And Smoke, Man Of Shadows, Embracing The Styx

Rating - 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment