Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cage - Science Of Annihilation

Power/Thrash
Music Buy Mail
2009






1. The Power that Feeds (Intro)
2. Planet Crusher
3. Scarlet Witch
4. Spirit of Vengeance
5. Black River Falls
6. Operation Overlord
7. Power of a God
8. Speed Kills
9. Stranger in Black
10. Die Glocke
11. Spectre of War
12. Science of Annihilation
13. At the Edge of the Infinite

Science Of Annihilation marks the 5th release from Cage in their quest to be Judas Priest. I've pretty much always at least moderately enjoyed this band, but there's no question of this bands Priest clone status and as such they've never greatly stood out to me as a favorite. Still, there are far worse out there and I've enjoyed some of their songs.

I don't know if I'm just feeling particularly cynical, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. This album just finds that straw that breaks the camel's back and becomes rather boring. I think we can all acknowledge that this band was pretty basic anyways in their Painkiller worship and straight ahead heavy songwriting, but this one takes it to the level of tedium. There just seems to be virtually no change from track to track as the album blazes along in single minded fashion with speed track after speed track and screaming. It really got to the point where the tracks bled together so bad I couldn't figure out when one was ending and another started and had a hard time focusing on listening at all. There is one... I repeat... ONE track that deviates at all and it's a random ballad thrown in near the end at track 11. Besides that these might as well be the same songs. I mean come on guys, at least throw in some heavy crunch or groove tracks. Something... anything remotely different would've been good.

I gave the last album a pretty good rating and I'm even somewhat surprised at what I have to write here, but I can find no real good logic to give this anything more than a pretty mediocre rating. This isn't completely without merit in that it's probably a decent headbanging experience in the way Slayer's less stellar albums are. It charges straight forward, but with little thought behind it. For some I guess that could be enough and I'll let this sneak away with a 2.5 but I can't see myself revisiting it.

Highlights: None

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment