Friday, September 28, 2012

Brainstorm - Memorial Roots

Power Metal
AFM Records
2009






1. Forsake What I Believed
2. Shiver
3. The Conjunction of 7 Planets
4. Cross the Line
5. Nailed Down Dreams
6. Blood Still Stains
7. Ahimsa
8. The Final Stages of Decay
9. Victim
10. When No One Cares
11. Would You
12. Seems To Be Perfect
13. Too Late To Deny

Though not necessarily what I would classify as a favorite, I've always enjoyed Brainstorm to some extent. Pretty much meat and potatoes sorta metal with a straight up heavy German power approach and and a familiar general style, but Andy Franck has a good voice and the band has some good songs to their credit.

I've gotta say however that on Memorial Roots Brainstorm have managed to put together one boring album. This is such a lifeless album that it took a number of times listening to it and considerable effort to concentrate on listening to it. My mind and attention just kept wanting to wander and this, of course, is not the best initial sign. Really after repeated listens I haven't warmed to it either. These songs are so interchangeable and lifeless that I'm hit by the impression of wall to wall filler. The guitar lacks edge, the songs meander nowhere fast and to no particularly strong choruses or solos. Basically, this album presents me with the impression of being a familiar formula done half heartedly and with little heaviness to boot.

The ultimate irony is that an album like this has a name like 'Memorial Roots' as this is about as far from memorable as an album can get. There's nothing on here that is just horrible to listen to, but I can't see myself ever feeling the urge to listen to it. This album has no highlights and really no soul. This seems like something that was released just with the objective of having an album sold to me. Maybe the band just wasn't feeling it this time out, but man is this a big time miss. Needless to say I would not recommend this one and only completists/major fans of the band may want to consider this release. Maybe someone else will find something here, but I cannot rate an album well that I find so dreadfully boring.

Highlights: None

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment