Saturday, September 15, 2012

Beyond Fear - Beyond Fear

Power/Thrash
Steamhammer
2006






1. Scream Machine
2. And... You Will Die
3. Save Me
4. The Human Race
5. Coming At You
6. Dreams Come True
7. Telling Lies
8. I Don't Need This
9. Words Of Wisdom
10. My Last Words
11. Your Time Has Come
12. The Faith

Despite Jon Schaffer thinking 'Tim Owens is not a songwriter' here it is... Owen's first solo outing. I didn't have real high expectations on this considering Owens' has largely ruined himself in my eyes by always attaching himself to bands as a pissboy replacement and talking about how there is no difference between nu-metal and metal. Apparently he realizes those boundries even if he does not acknowledge them though, as this keeps things in the metal realm, thankfully.

What we have here is pretty well what you might expect in most ways. The sound of this album is a heavy power/thrash sound that comes off as pretty heavy with a variation between some faster stuff and more crunch oriented riffs. Nothing revolutionary certainlly as I've heard the general sound of this album time and again. The style reminds me of sort of a combination between Cage and some Jugulator-like moments. Not as cheeseball as that album though for the most part although there are songs with lyrics almost as cheesy and uncreative, such as Coming At You. Cheesy in a different way and totally unlistenable is the ballad Dreams Come True. I don't think I need to elaborate too much as that title speaks for itself.

Vocally Tim sounds pretty good here. I'm still not that hot on his screeches but he does reach beyond them a bit and offer more vocal diversity and actual singing. A little more subdued in a good way, minus the title track which is essentially one long screech.

Overall, I don't think this band brings anything new to the table and the songwriting doesn't strike me as particularly memorable or impressive, but it's certainly not a terrible debut. Really this is the best thing he's done since Winter's Bane. With a little more creativity in the songwriting department this could be a good thing for Owens. As is though, there's just nothing here that grabs me to the point where I would personally buy it. Bigger fans of Tim Owens' past works should find this enjoyable though since there are reminders of all his past stuff at points and it keeps things metal.

Highlights: Loss For Words, Words Of Wisdom

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment