Saturday, September 15, 2012

Beautiful Sin - The Unexpected

Power Metal
AFM
2006






1. Lost
2. This is Not the Original Dream
3. Take Me Home
4. I`m Real
5. The Spark of Ignition
6. Closer to my Heart
7. Give up Once for All
8. Brace for Impact
9. Pechvogel
10. Metalwaves
11. The Beautiful Sin

The Unexpected indeed as I had no idea this album was on the way at all. Considering I'm a fan of both Masterplan and Pagan's Mind you'd think I'd have at least heard of a collaboration between the members but this one somehow slipped under the radar.

Well as mentioned, this band is about half Pagan's Mind and half Masterplan members with a female vocalist added on top. What does it sound like you ask? Well mostly like Masterplan with a female vocalist instead of Jorn. The music is flowing power metal with a catchy and accessible AOR sort of quality to it. With Jorn out of Masterplan they could've just called this one the new Masterplan album and I'd have pretty well been happy. There is a bit more of a heavy guitar approach to this one and it come's across as a bit ballsier but the songwriting and style is pretty unmistakable. Vocally Magali Luyten is a deep, rich sort of female vocalist who reminds me a bit of Lana Lane and handles the music admirably. An interesting inclusion is the song Lost which is Helloween's The Departed redone with different lyrics. Kinda recycling there but it actually sounds really good... better than the original I'd say as this singer had a lot more power than Deris and the song benefits from it. There are hints of Dark Ride throughout the album really as I can sometimes hear it in the riffs. If you're a fan Masterplan then I'm sure this one is a must own and if you like catchy melodic power then I'd say this is worth giving a shot.

Highlights: Take Me Home, Metalwaves, This Is Not The Original Dream, Give Up Once For All

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment