Saturday, September 15, 2012

Angtoria - God Has A Plan For Us All

Symphonic/Atmospheric Metal
Listenable Records
2006





1. The Awakening
2. I'm Calling
3. God Has a Plan For Us All
4. Six Feet Under's Not Deep Enough
5. Deity Of Disgust
6. The Addiction
7. Suicide On My Mind
8. Do You See Me Now
9. Original Sin
10. Hell Have No Fury Like A Woman Scorned
11. Confide In Me (Kylie Minogue Cover)
12. That's What The Wise Lady Said

Angtoria is the new band of Sarah Jezebel Deva who has made her mark previously as a session/guest vocalist for a number of well known acts such as Therion, The Gathering, The Kovenant, Cradle Of Filth, and Mortiis. While I'm not a fan of most of that stuff it does seem she has been a sought after addition for some bands and after listening to this, I think I get it.

While I wouldn't say Sarah Jezebel is the be all, end all, female vocalist she has a very soothing, fluid voice that adds to the sort of music present on this album nicely. In a way she reminds me of Cristina Scabbia, though I wouldn't say quite that powerful. Lacuna Coil comes to mind more than once in the catchy, smooth flow of the music but there is much more of a symphonic sound to what we have here. The music is majorly orchestrated not unlike Therion or perhaps Epica, but it has a catchy, accessible nature that reminds me of the aforementioned Lacuna Coil and perhaps Leaves Eyes. I've heard it said that this band is largely influenced by movie scores and I can really hear that in their sound. If smooth atmospheric music with a large classical influence sounds appealing to you then I'd advise checking this out. I'd especially recommend this album to anyone who may be displeased with the bit of a commercial influence creeping into Lacuna Coil. This is a beautifully put together album and while it is not extremely heavy by any means, there's enough of a guitar presence to keep things metal.

Highlights: God Has A Plan For Us All, Do You See Me Now, I'm Calling, Suicide On My Mind

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment