Saturday, September 22, 2012

Avantasia - The Scarecrow

Power Metal
Nuclear Blast

2008






1. Twisted Mind
2. The Scarecrow
3. Shelter From The Rain
4. Carry Me Over
5. What Kind Of Love
6. Another Angel Down
7. The Toy Master
8. Devil In The Belfry
9. Cry Just A Little
10. I Don't Believe In Your Love
11. Lost In Space

Now here's an album I was waiting for the way someone waits the night before their own hanging. Between the singles for this album sounding like pop and what Tobias has done to gay up Edguy of late I can't say I was expecting much out of this new Avantasia. Hell, even the logo and the focus on fantasy storytelling changed which were pretty well the premise of the band.

I guess the best I can say for this album is it's not as gay as I expected, but after hearing the two singles I guess it couldn't get much worse. Despite the fact those songs are pure pop rock and don't have a lick of metal sound, there are at least a couple pretty cool metal tunes here and some decent AORish sounding stuff. Twisted Mind is actually very good with it's groove riffs and sorta dark lurch. Roy Khan and Tobias carry this one well and it comes off something like a cross between King Of Fools and March Of Mephisto. Also an excellent inclusion is The Toymaster which is well done in a dark and creeping fashion which Alice Cooper adds to like only he can.

Despite any good I can say for this album however I can't say that I'll be likely to listen to it often as parts of it are just too disgusting. Lost In Space and Carry Me Over alone are enough pop gayness to make me question the metalness of any album, but then the album throws in more tracks to rival it like Cry Just A Little and What Kind Of Love. 4 tracks of this is more than any metalhead can be expected to endure. The title track is also pretty bad at times as it's attempts at emotional parts can be gag inducing.

The bottom line would be that only about half of this could be considered metal and only half of that good metal. Certainly, this release can't hold a candle to the epic fantasy storytelling that was done with the band before. This is probably worth giving at least one listen for the better tracks, but this album will no doubt be a letdown for Avantasia fans who still had hope. There is some ok material so I'll let this one by with a 2.0 but keep in mind that this album also has four tracks that would be dead zeros. Maybe not the worst album this year will see but I bet it has some of the worst songs.

Highlights: The Toy Master, Twisted Mind

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment