Sunday, September 16, 2012

Annihilator - Metal

Thrash
SPV
2006






1. Clown Parade
2. Couple Suicide
3. Army Of One
4. Downright Dominate
5. Smothered
6. Operation Annihilation
7. Haunted
8. Kicked
9. Detonation
10. Chasing The High

It figures that the one time I really wish Annihilator would drop a singer they keep the fucker longer than any other singer they've had in the past except Jeff Waters himself. 3 studio albums is a record for a vocalist being able to deal with Jeff Waters. I'll warn you right now that the singer has ruined the last 2 albums for me and he's still here. If you like Dave Padden than you should probably stop reading this... and go hang yourself.

From the very beginning this release just screams of desperate gimmicks. Every track on this fucking thing has a guest appearance of some sort. I'm not opposed to guest appearances, but that's a wee bit much and just says to me 'I Jeff Waters am out of ideas and need this name value to sell a record'. The name of the album 'Metal' certainly does support that idea as well.

As for the actual content of the release I'm going to start with a little lesson from Thrash Metal 101. A thrash metal singer has to have aggression, attitude, and a toughness to go along with the sort of heavy, ripping music in the genre. Dave Padden however comes across to me as tough as Oprah Winfrey sitting in a nail salon. Will someone please explain to me what those poppy alt-rock sounding choruses and sometimes verses got on a supposedly thrash metal album? That pussy ass singing brings to mind Sevendust for me and is just about the last thing I ever want to hear on an Annihilator album. Dave Padden strikes me as Jeff Waters' attempt to appeal to a more mainstream rock audience and conjures up memories of those fucking power ballads he tried to do to fit in with the mainstream on Set The World On Fire.

Onto the music of the release... it's utterly forgettable. Simple thrash metal that makes me want to cry when I think about the out there and interesting arrangements present on albums like Alice In Hell. The constant riff changes, unexpected melodic passages, and intensity are what made me once love Annihilator and none of this is present on the poorly titled 'Metal'. Totally boring thrash without real aggression in the music and certainly none in vocals is what we are left with. Of particularly poor quality is the track Couple Suicide which manages to assemble the ultimate trifecta of shitty vocalists. Dave Padden, Angella Gossow, and Danko Jones... it's like my worst fucking nightmare come true. The rest of the guest appearances are negligible and don't seem to add much of anything to the boring songs.

This one is simply put... just a piece of shit. 3 turds in a row with a pussy sounding vocalist and I'm starting to believe Annihilator is truly done. These songs just don't have the creativity that the band once did and would probably only climb to mediocre with a good singer. I would highly advise Annihilator fans of old to stop even trying to listen to their releases and just enjoy the great music they once put out. I see no hope for Annihilator and I recommend this release to no one. The mighty have truly fallen.

Highlights: No

Rating - 1.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment