Sunday, June 2, 2013

Satan - Life Sentence

NWOBHM
Listenable Records
2013








1. Time To Die
2. Twenty Twenty Five
3. Cenotaph
4. Siege Mentality
5. Incantations
6. Testimony
7. Tears Of Blood
8. Life Sentence
9. Personal Demons
10. Another Universe

For those unfamiliar with Satan, they were pretty much one of those bands who released a solid album or two in the new wave of british heavy metal and then disappeared off the metal map. Personally, I liked Court In The Act well enough, but I wouldn't really call them a favorite of mine or anything. It's been awhile since I listened to anything by them really. It was a surprise to see them coming back together in 2013 after not releasing a new studio album since '87, but reunions are all the rage these days. I'm not sure how much I expected out of this one going in as reunions can be real hit or miss. I did hear some good things in advance of the release though.

After listening to Life Sentence I can say it's pretty enjoyable listen. It didn't exactly blow me away though, as I've heard a fair amount of stuff from the NWOBHM style before, and honestly it's more of the same. This is basically a throwback to their earlier days in a very familiar mold, blending some bluesy hard rock influence, maiden-ish gallops, and a fair amount of speed. It is attacking, it is competent, and the sound is pretty good. I suppose it just comes off as not bringing anything new to the table. Probably not supposed to though as it's just a bunch of guys getting the band back together after a long time. For what it is, it's solid and I'm sure bigger fans of Satan and the NWOBHM than me will find it satisfying. I personally did like it, but the songs also blended together a bit as everything just steamrolls ahead without a lot of changes in pace. If it's a direct, ripping NWOBHM album you want though you could certainly do worse.

Basically, this album does what it sets out to do. No more, no less. It's attacking, heavy, and pretty traditional/classic sounding. It just lacks that certain something to distinguish it from a lot of the other NWOBHM stuff I've heard. I'm not one of those experts on the period/genre that has every band who ever put out one single as that never much interested me, but listening to this there was little mystery involved. That's what made it hard for me personally to get excited on that next level. Where as Hell really impressed me with their comeback album based on the kind of crazy over the top vocals and catchy material, this one is heavy, but doesn't have quite as much substance. Still, finely executed heavy metal in a traditional mold is not necessarily a bad thing. Just not quite next level. If you like early Satan this is probably worth it and if you're looking for something new in a throwback NWOBHM mold that recalls early Maiden and Diamond Head than this could be worth your time.

Highlights: Cenotaph, Life Sentence

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment