Thursday, April 25, 2013

Amorphis - Circle

Gothic/Melodic/Folk Metal
Nuclear Blast

2013








1. Shades Of Gray
2. Mission
3. The Wanderer
4. Narrow Path
5. Hopeless Days
6. Nightbird's Song
7. Into The Abyss
8. Enchanted By The Moon
9. A New Day

Going into this new Amorphis album I was fully expecting good things, but wondered if I'd be getting great ones. To this point, since the vocalist change to Tomi Joutsen, everything has been at least good and that is not a small accomplishment. Losing a vocalist and recovering is always a challenge and the band has done a good job in moving forward. Credit where credit is due. That being said, I did not like The Beginning Of Times as much as Skyforger and it hasn't really stuck with me. I guess it just didn't have those big highlights like Skyforger or Eclipse that made me want to go back again and again. That being said, Silent Waters was similar so the band has alternated between good and great albums since the change.

Well, after listening to Circle I'd say this falls just a little short of what the band is capable of again. Maybe things have just gotten a bit static and predictable for a band who basically based their identity on being shapeshifting. What Circle brings to the table is a somewhat familiar formula at this point of melodic, gothic music and deep vocals mixed with earlier death metal vocals and influences. The songs are competent, flowing, and enjoyable, but don't really break the established molds to stand out strongly on their own. I don't want this review to come across as all negative because the band sounds good and there's never a time I don't like this album. I just feel like the songs could be a bit more adventurous and like this is lacking those songs that Really grab your attention with something unique.

The best tracks of this album comes when the folk influence the band has incorporated at times takes center stage. Narrow Path and Mission are good examples of this and they do have nice energy and melodies. Even these are relatively predictable though and blend together just a little too much. Certainly, the folk melodies they bring in are nothing new to metal. Basically, this album just lacks a Two Moons, House of Sleep, Silver Bride, Sky Is Mine, or even a Silent Waters to get me really excited.

Overall, I like this and the band does well with their sound. I'm looking for the next level though and Circle doesn't quite give it to me. This is just a little too safe to get me really excited and put this in the running among the top albums of the year.

Highlights: Narrow Path, Mission, The Wanderer

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment