Monday, December 24, 2012

Kobra And The Lotus - Kobra And The Lotus

Simmons Records
Heavy Metal
2012










1. 50 Shades Of Evil
2. Welcome To My Funeral
3. Forever One
4. Heaven's Veins
5. My Life
6. Nayana (My Eyes)
7. Sanctuary
8. Lover Of The Beloved
9. No Rest For The Wicked
10. Aria Of Karmika

Kobra And The Lotus' self titled sophomore release marks my first experience with the band. A friend recommended this one and I figured I'd give em a shot. Took me a bit to get around to this release, but I am just one guy versus a lot of metal out there. A new band is always an intriguing possibility though and I do tend to dig female fronted metal.

Well, listening to this one, the band did not disappoint. I went in with little in terms of expectations and came out with a very polised, heavy and up tempo piece of metal. This is some pretty attacking stuff as it blends traditional and heavy power metal nicely. Vocalist Kobra Paige has a deep, melodic note to her voice and wails with a great deal of conviction. Her voice reminds me a bit of a more flamboyant Veronica Freeman (Benedictum) mixed with Michael Grant's (Onward/Crescent Shield) deep melodic sense. It's a good blend and she lends a fair amount of power to the music. The most obvious influence to this band for me is Iron Maiden and they really do remind me of a modern, heavier version with a female singer. Not comparing quality as that would be a disservice to almost any metal band, but the sound is obviously grounded in a love of Maiden. Think of Kobra And The Lotus as a mix of love for old school Maiden and a grounding in a more modern, heavy power metal sound.

Kobra And The Lotus seem to have their act well together on this one and there is little to not like here. Their self titled release just has a lot of energy, a powerful sound aided by forceful wails, and rarely relents in it's headbanging pace. I have nothing but good to say about this band and I think any fan of traditional/power metal would be well advised to check them out. As I'm getting ready to close out the year in reviews, I can safely say that this one is towards the top of the heap.

Highlights: Forever One, Nayana, Sanctuary, 50 Shades Of Evil

Rating - 4.0/5

1 comment:

  1. Glad your digging this as much as I am!!
    Horns up and Merry Xmas.

    ReplyDelete