Monday, December 24, 2012

Brendon Small - Brendon Small's Galaktikon

Progressive Metal/Rock
Independent
2012









1. Triton
2. Prophecy Of The Lazer Witch
3. Beastblade
4. Deathwaltz
5. Truth Orb And The Kill Pool
6. You Can't Run Away
7. Arena War Of The Immortal Masters
8. Dangertits (Instrumental)
9. On My Way

Like most in the metal scene, I'm familiar with Brendon Small for his goofy cartoon about a death metal band, Metalocalypse. I've watched it a little in passing and the humor doesn't quite grab me, but the metal references and guest voices can be amusing sometimes. I've never been wholly invested in that whole bit, but I heard some samples of Galaktikon and it sounded intriguing. Certainly, far different from the Dethklok stuff. As a somewhat more serious project by someone interested in good metal I was curious enough to give this a listen.

As I said, do not expect anything like Dethklok going into this one. Listening to Galaktikon this is more along the lines of progressive metal/rock with some nods to the shredders like Malmsteen and Vai. There is also a sci-fi theme to the lyrics and music as might be suggested by a name like Galaktikon. Vocally, Brendon Small switches between a sort of mid-range growl/rasp and a bit deeper sounding melodic approach. Nothing to write home about in terms of ability, but I do like the way it fits the music. There's an almost stoner vibe to this at times fueled by his vocal style and some groovier moments, but the music is also unmistakably progressive. I dig the mix and I can't say I've ever really heard a soundalike for what he's doing here. Originality does score points and this comes off as having an identify firmly it's own.

Overall, Galaktikon comes off as less of a gimmick than Dethklok and establishes Brendon Small as a more serious musician here. True, the album is a bit goofy, but not so much about laughing at cliches as embracing them. Don't let a title like Dangertits fool you (which is a pretty good instrumental by the way). This is a serious, if light hearted album with sci-fi themes and some originality to it. I'd say if you want to hear some different prog metal meets rock than this is worth your time.

Highlights: Beastblade, Triton, Deathwaltz

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment