Friday, December 7, 2012

Bloodbound - In The Name Of Metal

Power Metal
AFM Records

2012









1. In The Name Of Metal
2. When Demons Collide
3. Bonebreaker
4. Metalheads Unite
5. Son Of Babylon
6. Mr. Darkness
7. I'm Evil
8. Monstermind
9. King Of Fallen Grace
10. Black Devil
11. Bounded By Blood

Bloodbound are a younger power metal band, but have steadily been releasing albums since 2006. To their credit, other than the misstep that was Book Of The Dead, I have enjoyed this band. I thought this band was going to sink (again) after singer Urban Breed left for the second time, but Unholy Cross found a good replacement in singer Patrik Johansson and pretty well kept the sound of the band intact. Having more successfully recovered from a vocalist change than on Book Of The Dead I had plenty of reasons to be optimistic for this band's second effort with Patrik at the helm.

Well, that optimism sure didn't last long. From the first track this album is pretty much doomed. In The Name of Metal starts off with it's title track and I've got to say that it just made me laugh and shake my head. The song is so cliche and the lyrics so brutally cheesy that it makes Dream Evil look deeply profound by comparison. Kinda reminds of a band trying to mimic a band who tried to mimic a band playing HammerFall covers. This song is seriously every bad cliche about metal wrapped up and delivered in a Pandora's box of suck.

Things do get marginally better after In The Name Of Metal (How could they not?), but that one only serves to point out the cliche nature of the rest of the tracks. There is absolutely nothing original, inspired, or noteworthy about this album except maybe as an abject lesson in what not to do in power metal. Basically, every song is mid-paced power metal that sounds like it was written not by someone who loves the genre, but by someone who heard about it once in the most basic terms. This is just lazy songwriting and the worst possible take on simple metal anthems. The only other song I even feel the need to point out is the other groan inducing suckfest called Metalheads Unite. In the lyrics here they actually spell out M-E-T-A-L and I'm sort of surprised based on the rest of the album that they spelled it right.

I'm not sure what the hell happened here as I know this band is capable of better and I'm more or less left shocked and confused by what I just heard. It's like I was driving through an intersection and a tractor trailer hauling manure blind sided me. Or perhaps I can best liken this to a steaming pile left by a dog on my kitchen floor. I'm inclined to find this band, stick their noses in it, while telling them 'NO. Don't do that again. Bad.".

Highlights: Nope

Rating - 1.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment