Saturday, October 13, 2012

Wolf - Legions Of Bastards

Heavy/Power Metal
Century Media
2011






1. Vicious Companions
2. Skull Crusher
3. Full Moon Possession
4. Jekyll & Hyde
5. Absinthe
6. Tales From The Crypt
7. Nocturnal Rites
8. Road To Hell
9. False Preacher
10. Hope To Die
11. K-141 Kursk

Wolf are one of those bands who have consistently made music I like, if maybe not love. They can crank out some good power metal that is both catchy and fairly aggressive. Somehow this band has never broken that 'next level' for me though. I guess not everyone can be a favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't have some of their albums or don't enjoy listening to em.

After listening to this album I can say that Legions Of Bastards is pretty much just what I expected. Solid power metal with a fair amount of aggression, but no song that hits hard enough to be a best of the year contender and nothing in style I haven't heard from the band before. I guess what keeps this band from really breaking out for me may be the fact that they've settled into a fairly familiar sound. I never really hear a new interesting hook outside of their box and the vocals are fairly limited in range.

Nitpicking aside though, this really is pretty decent. Certainly they have a solid sound that has a good energy about it. Both the guitar and vocals are aggressive and the whole thing comes off as pretty headbangable. If you want some straight up aggressive power metal than you could do worse than Wolf.

The thing with Legion Of Bastards is the album never quite grabs me and pulls me in. The rating will, in the end, have to reflect that. This is not a release I'm likely to revisit a lot and will be lumped into the pile of average power metal that comes out in any given year. Fans will probably find enough to like here, but I wouldn't consider it a good intro to the band or a remarkable album.

Highlights: Vicious Companions, Full Moon Possession

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment