Saturday, October 13, 2012

Six Magics - Falling Angels

Power Metal
Coroner Records
2012






1. Another Name
2. Falling Angels
3. Rolled
4. Dreamer (B:O:M)
5. Do You Remember
6. Sick & Tired
7. Icy Lips
8. Start Another War
9. Suicide
10. Why
11. Binsfeld
12. How To Live
13. I Know

Six Magics have been around for awhile, but are a bit under the radar and this is my first experience with them. Hailing from Chile, Falling Angels is their 5th album. I went into this one with no real expectations and this was sort of a shot in the dark listen. Feeling adventurous I guess.

What we have here is some pretty straight forward and heavy power metal. Six Magics is female fronted at this point, though they didn't start that way, but this is not at all the in vogue atmospheric sort of female fronted band here. Things start off pretty heavy and upbeat with some good songs and nice energy on tracks like Another Name, Falling Angels, and Rolled. These tracks remind me a bit of Godiva musically or maybe Hibria though not quite as speedy as those guys. Vocally Ely Vasquez is a fairly mid-ranged and direct singer who shouts her way along with decent force if not incredible range. It's tracks like these that I previewed and drew me into listening to this album. Pretty good stuff really.

Unfortunately, after this point the album loses steam. Most of the tracks beyond this point either start to sound the same or the ones that do vary the sound a bit miss the mark. Do You Remember? starts off almost poppy then gos to an anthem chorus that is just typical and doesn't make an impact. Sick and tired has more heaviness, but also has some slowdown moments heavy with keyboards that I don't particularly like. Icy Lips meanwhile just sounds too choppy in it's riffs and I don't enjoy that track at all. After that things get a bit better, but never really capture the same energy as the beginning of the album and the whole thing ends on a missable ballad.

Overall, this band can sound good at times, but this fails to keep the momentum it builds at the beginning of the release. I feel like this band has some good musicians, but in the end the album doesn't quite make it for me. The bottom line on Falling Angels is the songwriting just doesn't quite hold up. I guess not every random album I listen to can be winner eh? I got some good Songs out of this, but not a complete album.

Highlights: Falling Angels, Another Name, Rolled

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment