Saturday, October 13, 2012

Running Wild - Shadowmaker

Power Metal
SPV
2012






1. Piece Of The Action
2. Riding On The Tide
3. I Am Who I Am
4. Black Shadow
5. Locomotive
6. Me & The Boys
7. Shadowmaker
8. Sailing Fire
9. Into The Black

When I heard Running Wild was calling it a day awhile back, I pretty much thought it was for the best. Sure, a band you like retiring is sort of sad, but it did seem as though Running Wild's best days were behind them. Their earlier, speedier albums were just far more noteworthy and listened to. Naturally, with that in mind, I wasn't really sure what to make of this quick 'reunion'.

Well, if it's older blazing speed Running Wild you're looking for you should check your expectations at the door because you're still not getting it. Rolf Kasparek just doesn't seem to be interested in that sort of material these days or revisiting that classic sound. However, if you temper your expectations in that regard then I do think this album has plenty to offer.

What Shadowmaker lacks in speed it attempts to make up for in sheer catchiness. While, I myself would have preferred a speedier album with stronger/more energetic leads, this album is pretty good at what it does. There is still a patent Running Wild tone to the guitar and the songs are mostly anthems that will inevitably get completely stuck in your head. My wife has been walking around the house singing the chorus to Me & The Boys since I've been playing this.

Stylistically, pretty much every track follows a formula, but the album does sound good while doing it. I get a bit of a Judas Priest vibe circa British Steel from a lot of these tracks. If Running Wild doesn't intend to be really speedy anymore, there are worse ways to go. The only track that really stands out in terms of style is the album closer, Dracula. This one sounds a bit more like it should have been on an early, pre-pirate Running Wild album and the lyrics help with that feel. Between it's interestingly darker tone and somewhat faster leads it ends up being my top pick from this one. One thing Running Wild knows how to do is close an album.

I can't say that Shadowmaker is Everything I wanted, but it is more than I expected and a good album. It is also probably the best of their more mid-paced albums. Expect more Victory/The Brotherhood than Black Hand Inn/Pile Of Skulls and this is an enjoyable listen. Probably not the best intro to the band, but recommended to fans. Looks like maybe Running Wild isn't quite done after all.

Highlights: Dracula, Me & The Boys, Piece Of The Action

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment