Friday, October 5, 2012

Poisonblack - Of Rust And Bones

Gothic Metal
Century Media
2010






1. My Sun Shines Black
2. Leech
3. My World
4. Buried Alive
5. Invisible
6. Casket Case
7. Down The Drain
8. Alone
9. The Last Song
10. My World (Acoustic Bonus)

Really, this band might as well be called 'Replacement Sentenced', but I guess that would be a bit too honest and not as catchy as Poisonblack. This one marks Poisonblack's fourth album and their third in this post-Sentenced sorta vein. I've liked this band from the beginning, including their first album with the different sound & vocals so this is one I was waiting for. Sentenced hold a special place with me as my favorite gothic metal act so really I'm just glad music of this sort is still being made in some form.

Listening to this one I can't say there is much in terms of surprises. This is pretty much the same brand of metalized gothic rock that one would expect of this band or Sentenced. Whether this is under a different name with some different personnel or not, I'm just glad this sort of great Sentenced-esque songwriting continues on. Basically, this album gives me a fix for what I was needing. Nothing really wrong with that. Of Rust And Bone features signature guitar sounds, somber but heavy moods, and some nice vocals from Ville. From start to finish I enjoy all the songs and that's as much as I really ask of any band.

Basically, this is a solid release that is a must for any fan of gothic metal, but particularly of the band and Sentenced. Solid melodies from start to finish and good vocal delivery makes this one stand out in a sea of Finnish gothic metal/rock acts. Just a good sound and memorable songs here.

Highlights: Buried Alive, Casket Case, Leech, The Last Song

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment