Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pharaoh - Bury The Light

Power Metal
Cruz Del Sur
2012






1. Leave Me Here To Dream
2. The Wolves
3. Castles In The Sky
4. The Year Of The Blizzard
5. The Spider's Thread
6. Cry
7. Graveyard Of Empires
8. Burn With Me
9. In Your Hands
10. The Spider's Thread (Reprise)

Pharaoh have been sort of a hit and miss band with me coming into this one. I hear a lot of potential in their playing and vocals, but it hasn't always all come together for them (at least to my ears). Up to this point I've considered one of their albums great (The Longest Night) and the other two just ok. Still, I do think this band has the ability to make a great album and that's enough to get my attention for another release. Not to mention even when they haven't fully hit it home they've been pretty decent.

After listening to Bury The Light I'd say this one leaves me with about the same impression as Be Gone. This is pretty well executed heavy power metal with some good vocal deliveries and skillful playing, but the songwriting doesn't always draw me in. I think my gripe with the album is it never gets quite as interestingly melodic with progressive tones as Sunrise, as awesomely pounding as I Am The Hammer, or as completely epic as By The Night Sky. Basically, this album leaves me feeling like The Longest Night is still the standard to measure this band by. None of these songs seem to quite get off the ground to the next level. I think part of it is the choppiness of the riffs and maybe even getting a little too ambitious with variations within the songs. At times it seems like the parts of the songs are a little splintered. I tend to prefer this band when they're using a bit more of an Iron Maiden gallop. It's not that this isn't well executed, but at the same time it doesn't have as much energy and staying power as I would have liked. Maybe easing off the choppy, almost thrashy riffs and using something with a bit more of an organic flow could help.

In the end this is a decent power metal offering, but it just doesn't cement itself into my brain like The Longest Night did. The lack of staying power in the songs is what kinda buries this. I think getting back to basics and yeah maybe even a bit more to their Maiden inspiration might help this band. Not saying they should be clones, but these songs don't quite have the anthemic shout along qualities I'd like to hear more of from the band.

Highlights: Leave Me Here To Dream, Castles In The Sky

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment