Friday, October 5, 2012

OverKill - Ironbound

Thrash Metal
Nuclear Blast
2010






1. The Green And Black
2. Ironbound
3. Bring Me The Night
4. The Goal Is Your Soul
5. Give A Little
6. Endless War
7. The Head And Heart
8. In Vain
9. Killing For A Living
10. The SRC

OverKill to me have always been at the top of the thrash metal genre. Truly one of my favorite bands and though they have attained some success I've always felt their name belonged in with the big thrash four. Up until recently I also would've considered OverKill to be one of the most consistent bands out there as they've always churned out solid albums on a regular release schedule and have quite a deep catalogue. That being said, the last couple have sadly not done a hell of a lot for me and I found myself getting a little worried about the future of OverKill.

Well, I guess everyone can have a dry spell. OverKill come back on this one in fine form to me. Ironbound feels like a step back and perhaps with this being their 25th anniversary they consciously decided to. Really, this album sounds more like something that could've come out around The Years Of Decay/Horrorscope to me as it's pure thrash madness. This is probably the purest thrash album they've put out in a long time and doesn't really let off the gas. The thing that separates this from some of their more recent material is it doesn't seem as thick in sound and groove oriented as some of their more recent albums. Very solid, speedier riffs drive the energy of this one and the songs really bring a lot of aggression to the table.

Basically, this is the album I wanted to hear out of OverKill. Ironbound brings a good bag of riffs to the table, a lot of energy, and memorable songs. This is signature OverKill and that is ok by me. Recommended to fans of OverKill and thrash metal in general. If you're a thrash fan, OverKill is just a must.

Highlights: The Green And Black, Ironbound, Give A Little, The Head And Heart

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment