Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hideweaver - Silver Bullet

Power Metal
Self Released
2012






1. Silver Bullet
2. Opus Die
3. The Same Old Song
4. The Scarlet Whore
5. Wait Until Dark
6. Wash My Tears Away
7. Eyes Open Wide
8. Of Beauty And Vanity
9. $alevation
10. Shades

Hideweaver's Silver Bullet is just one of those random debuts I checked out. I do it from time to time seeking new blood and I was in the mood for something fresh. Basically, I comb through a bunch of samples until something is good enough to listen to a full album and Hideweaver sounded good enough for that treatment at least.

After listening to Silver Bullet I'd say this is a pretty well put together album for a self released/independent debut. I don't hear a lot of power metal starting off this well and doing it on their own. Nor do I hear a lot of power bands that catch my attention from Italy. Though not a full stylistic match I do hear some comparisons to fellow countrymen The Dogma musically and in the vocals. There's also a certain comparison to be made in their themes. When I saw the cover art for Silver Bullet it reminded me a lot of something The Dogma might have with it's style and werewolf on the cover. This is not symphonic or as gothy as The Dogma though and that's where the comparisons end. Musically, I hear more Saint Deamon meets newer Nocturnal Rites as this is grounded in power metal, but also draws a bit on melodic rock hooks. Vocally I also get a bit of Mechanical Poet as the vocalist is somewhat subdued, but solid. All in all, this just has nice songwriting with a good variation between melodic hooks and power metal punch.

When I went into this one I was looking for a promising young band and that's what I got. Hideweaver are an up and comer that I would say is worth keeping an eye on. Always nice to hear some new blood doing power metal well.

Highlights: Silver Bullet, Wash My Tears Away, The Scarlet Whore

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment