Saturday, October 13, 2012

Evergrey - Glorious Collision

Melodic/Dark Metal
Steamhammer/SPV
2011






1. Leave It Behind Us
2. You
3. Wrong
4. Frozen
5. Restoring The Loss
6. To Fit The Mold
7. Out Of Reach
8. The Phantom Letters
9. The Disease
10. It Comes From Within
11. Free
12. I'm Drowning Alone
13. ... And The Distance

Evergrey are a band who I really like when they're on top of their game, but not a band which I have liked every album. I guess the word for this band in my book is 'potential'. Every album brings the possibility of something great. The last album, Torn, I enjoyed a great deal so I was hopeful for this one going in.

One thing about Evergrey is they're sort of difficult to classify in terms of genres. I've seen the term 'dark metal' tossed around which I think is a decent, if a little vague classification. Certainly, this band does have a sort of dark melancholy feel to them... especially so in more recent times. In times gone past I would've called this band progressive, but now they more focus on a strong melodic sense and hooks than much of anything progressive. Not a bad thing in my book.

In comparison to Torn this one is similar, but maybe a little more melodic and a little less heavy. I wouldn't call this one light, but the flowing melodies do seem more important to the songs than driving riffs. This doesn't really bother me as I find their moody atmosphere and the emotion of Tom Englund to be the main selling points of the band anyways. This band is just great at creating this sort of dark & depressing atmosphere while staying in a melodic metal vein and not a gothic metal one.

To sum this one up, if you like the direction Evergrey has headed in the years towards a melodic and somewhat somber band than this should be to your liking. Another solid release from Evergrey and I think fans will be pleased with it so long as you're not looking for anything particularly progressive. Personally, this is pretty much what I wanted from Evergrey.

Highlights: Wrong, Restoring The Loss, The Disease, ...And The Distance

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment