Saturday, October 13, 2012

Driver - Countdown

Melodic Metal/Rock
Bad Reputation
2012






1. Return To The Sky
2. Rising Son
3. Countdown
4. Hollywood Shooting Star
5. Thief In The Night
6. Cry Of The Wounded
7. Always On My Mind
8. Feel The Fire
9. Destiny
10. Running From The Darkness

Driver are a band who are new to me on listening to this album. I'd heard of them and meant to check them, but somehow I never got around to the first full album, Sons Of Thunder. This band is the old band of Rob Rock & Roy Z and considering I like their work in Rob Rock's solo band I figured this was worth checking out. The only thing that gave me a slight pause is reading some of the cheeseball song titles like Hollywood Shooting Star and Always On My Mind. Those are the sort of titles that give me just a little hesitation.

After listening to this one, the basic verdict is it pretty much sounds like Rob Rock. Maybe just a little bit more melodic rock/metal in tone with a bit of an 80s feel at times, but not all that out of line with what he normally does. That being said, I don't feel like this is either as powerful and heavy as his solo stuff or as intricate and attacking in the guitar as Impellitteri. This is a bit similar to his stuff with Axel Rudi Pell, but it really is a mix of his other bands that doesn't come off quite as good as any of them. Not bad for what it is, but there's no real danger of Driver stealing a lot of time from me listening to Rob Rock or Impellitteri. If you like melodic rock/metal than this is pretty decent stuff. It doesn't quite stand out from the pack though. One problem is the songs do blend together a bit. Hollywood Shooting Star is the surprise here as it has heavier guitar and is not what the song title would've had me thinking. Thief In The Night also has a catchy groove that sets it apart from the rest. In terms of a negative standout, Always On My Mind is about as cheesy of a ballad as I expected it to be.

Seeing as this one just never really establishes a particular need for this extra band, I can't rate it too highly. It's not a Bad release, but it fails to be a particularly noteworthy one. If you're big into Rob Rock than I'd give this a listen. Otherwise, this is probably not a must listen.

Highlights: Hollywood Shooting Star, Thief In The Night

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment