Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dark Princess - The World I've Lost

Gothic Metal
Out Of Line
2012






1. Fight With Myself
2. We Can Not Fly So High
3. Fields Of Youth
4. The Key
5. Everlasting Pain
6. Paradise Land
7. Point Of No Return
8. The Temple Of Darkness
9. The Last Page
10. The Way Of Passion
11. Caruso

Dark Princess are a band I've enjoyed up to this point. They're sort of a novelty in my collection as one of the few Russian bands I listen to and most know I enjoy a good female fronted goth album. It's been awhile since the band has released anything though and they have a new vocalist. These sorts of things can be warning signs so I approached this one with a bit of skepticism.

Listening to The World I've Lost it's one of those situations where while I like the previous vocalist a little better, the band did find a pretty worth replacement. New singer Natalia Terekjova slips into the band's style pretty easily. I do find that this album does sound just a little less gothic with her at the front, but the change is not huge. She just strikes me as a slightly higher and less resonant singer than Olga Romanova, but that's more a nitpick than anything else.

Musically, the songs still have great flow and are loaded with hooks. Again maybe slightly less gothic at times, but there are still elements of that as well. The band still has a flare for writing good hooks and that gos a long way here. Fans of female fronted goth metal should find more than enough to like here. Dark Princess basically takes the gothic/atmospheric approach, but injects some good rocking into it as well. I continue to enjoy their style and am glad to hear them putting out new material again.

Overall, this might not Quite reach the heights of Stop My Heart for me and I do think Olga was a bit better singer, but the band recovers from the vocalist swap pretty well. We all know how these sorts of changes Can go and in relative terms the impact is pretty minor. Fans of stuff like Within Temptation's more recent material or Lacuna Coil will probably dig this.

Highlights: We Can Not Fly So High, Fight With Myself, The Key

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment