Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bloodbound - Unholy Cross

Power Metal
AFM

2011






1. Moria
2. Drop The Bomb
3. The Ones We Left Behind
4. Reflections Of Evil
5. In For The Kill
6. Together We Fight
7. The Dark Side Of Life
8. Brothers Of War
9. Message From Hell
10. In The Dead Of Night
11. Unholy Cross

Bloodbound are a band I have liked at times, but those times have been with Urban Breed. To recap this bands history a little... the first album with Breed was great, the follow up without him sucked, and the next album back with him was great. So now we have another album without Urban Breed handling vocal duties. Given past history I was not really that excited for this release, but still curious if the band could successfully transition to another singer this time. Let's face it... filling Urban Breed's shoes is a hard thing to do.

After listening to Unholy Cross though I have to say that Bloodbound surprised me. Picking a relative unknown of a vocalist, they managed to find the right guy. Patrik Johansson does an admirable job and is close enough to Urban Breed in sound where I don't feel like the band loses the solid style they had established. Honestly, I'm not sure if he measures up to Urban completely, but it's a hard standard to meet. I personally believe Urban is one of the stronger vocalists currently active in the scene. All in all though, nice pick and the songs don't take the step backwards I was half expecting. Everything sounds pretty solid and epic in fact. Lot of good melodies and epic deliveries to be found on this one and the songs are about on par with the last album.

In the end I think Bloodbound has found a winner here. It's true I still miss Urban Breed a little bit, but lets face it... he's not the most reliable vocalist and pretty much a hired gun. Bloodbound probably has a more stable future ahead of them with this new singer if nothing else and he does fit the style. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the results here. If you like over the top epic metal with a maiden influence and strong melodies than this is a good listen.

Highlights: Moria, Drop The Bomb, In For The Kill

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment