Friday, October 5, 2012

Blaze Bayley - Promise And Terror

Heavy/Power Metal
Blaze Bayley Recordings
2010






1. Watching the Night Sky
2. Madness and Sorrow
3. 1633
4. God of Speed
5. City of Bones
6. Faceless
7. Time to Dare
8. Surrounded by Sadness
9. The Trace of Things That Have No Words
10. Letting Go of the World
11. Comfortable in Darkness

I have an interesting relationship with Blaze Bayley's music and voice. Back when he was in Maiden I was very much Not a fan and didn't feel he fit the band's music at all. However, since he went to Blaze, and later just Blaze Bayley, I've really enjoyed his sound and music. I was particularly sold on his last album, The Man Who Would Not Die, which brought a new set of guitarists to the fold and a hell of a riff attack.

After the last album I really was hoping I would get some more of that very riff-centric guitar attack as I enjoyed the energy and aggression it brought to Blaze's music. Unfortunately, while Promise and Terror still does have some pretty solid riff moments, it isn't quite as aggressive and energetic as the last album. Considering how incredibly impressed I was with the guitar display of the last one, that does qualify as a bit of a letdown. However, the music on this album does largely deliver anyways as I find the songs pretty memorable and well constructed. Maybe this isn't quite as much of a shredder and even a bit moodier, but it does have some solid songs and that's all I ask. Not quite as instrumentally impressive, but that's not always necessary for good songs. What we have here is pretty heavy power/traditional metal with Blaze's low end adding a fair amount of mood and muscle to a thick soundscape.

In the end, I don't find this one as strong as The Man Who Would Not Die, which I consider the best album Blaze Bayley has ever been a part of, but that does not mean this is a bad release by any stretch. I have no doubt this album will appeal to Blaze fans and really it's probably more in the vein of his other past albums than The Man Who Would Not Die which did break a bit from the standard.

Highlights: Watching The Night Sky, 1663, God Of Speed

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment