Friday, October 5, 2012

Avantasia - Angel Of Babylon

Power Metal
Nuclear Blast
2010






1. Stargazers
2. Angel Of Babylon
3. Your Love Is Evil
4. Death Is Just A Feeling
5. Rat Race
6. Down In The Dark
7. Blowing Out The Flame
8. Symphony Of Life
9. Alone I Remember
10. Promised Land
11. Journey To Arcadia

Didn't I just write an Avantasia review? Yes, yes I did. For some reason rather than going with a sort of double album these are being released separately so a separate review it is.

Well maybe a separation really is in order. To put it bluntly, I don't think this one is quite as good songwise as The Wicked Symphony and the rating is a bit of a drop. Not that this is a terrible album or anything, but the songs don't hit me as hard and there's a bit of a rough patch on this one.

Really this one should have ended with track 8. The last few really drop the ball. Journey To Arcadia is very overblown and poppy/happy sounding. You know what it reminds me of? That super over the top worship music/christian rock stuff. That's the sound. Also worth noting in particular, and not in a good way, is Alone I Remember. Me and my wife were actually discussing this track trying to figure out who it reminded us both of when it dawned on us. The chorus sounds like it should be in an ABBA song. Promised Land is also pretty mediocre and vaguely commercial sounding. Actually, I don't like the ballad Blowing Out The Flame all that much either.

Alright four tracks down so this one has to be labeled as a bit inconsistent. The positive though is that the rest of the songs are pretty solid with some decent variation. Stargazers has a great drive and energy to it with some cool guitar in that traditional power sense where as Symphony Of Life is a more symphonic number powered by a female singer. I'd never heard of Cloudy Yang before this album, but I like her sound here. Death Is Just A Feeling is also an interesting number featuring Jon Oliva and has kind of a creepy, dark atmosphere about it.

Overall, this one is good but not quite great and the weaker of the two sister releases. Still worth picking up for fans of the band, etc but if you're going to get just one, I'd say try The Wicked Symphony before you visit this album.

Highlights: Stargazers, Symphony Of Life, Your Love Is Evil

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment