Friday, October 5, 2012

Armored Saint - La Raza

Heavy Metal
Metal Blade
2010






1. Loose Cannon
2. Head On
3. Left Hook From Right Field
4. Get Off The Fence
5. Chilled
6. La Raza
7. Black Feet
8. Little Monkey
9. Blues
10. Bandit Country

My first thought when I heard new Saint was on the way was FINALLY. I mean it's been a long time since this band reunited to do Revelation. In fact it's been a decade so there's been more than a small wait. On a personal note I've always loved John Bush's voice and I greatly missed his presence in music particularly. I liked him in Anthrax as well, but with the whole situation there, and him being out of music for awhile, it was nice to see new Armored Saint on the horizon.

The initial teaser for this album was the first single to be released, Left Hook From Right Field, and instantly my heart sank and my lunch stirred. Holy hell does this song suck ass. Just absolutely terrible and bordering on incoherent with it's discordant rhythm or lack there of. What a piece of shit. I mean I was really looking forward to this album and this song coming out truly was a left hook from right field. Appropriate title if nothing else I guess.

Needless to say my expectations and the appetite for this album diminished significantly after this song saw the light, but none the less I've given it it's spins to see what the rest of the album held. The most concise answer I can give to that question is 'not much'. At best this album sounds like generic heavy metal bordering on rock and at worst it's flat out annoying. There are a couple decent cuts here, which pretty much come at the beginning, but they're not nearly enough to make this a great release. All in all this album doesn't sound entirely unlike 90s radio rock. Well... if any of these songs were catchy enough to make it to radio.

To not be entirely negative, most of this album is OK, but a lot of it does sound phoned in. Certainly, La Raza is nowhere near the top of this band's catalogue and none of the songs are highlights in it. None of the other tracks are as impressively awful as Left Hook From Right Field, but nor is this album really worth reuniting again for. In closing, I'd recommend this to fanboys of the band and collectors only. Standing on it's own, this is not worth the price of admission.

Highlights: Loose Cannon, Head On

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment