Saturday, September 15, 2012

Widow - On Fire

Power Metal
Cruz Del Sur Music
2005





1. An American Werewolf In Raleigh
2. The Preacher's Daughter
3. Here To Stay
4. Re-Animate Her
5. Sinderella
6. Not Alone
7. Dead End
8. Misstery
9. Family Affair
10. I'll Bury You Alive

On Fire marks the sophmore release of Widow and I have to say I really enjoyed the debut in spite of some problems. The main problem being the utterly horrible black vocals that pop up throughout. The extremely strong riffing, guitar sound, and cool vibe to the clean vocals kept me interested though.

On this release I almost feel like Widow is saying to me personally 'Oh the harsh vocals didn't get rid of you? Well try this crappy female singer on for size!'. The addition of a THIRD vocalist seems more than a little absurd and I don't know why they felt the need to get this girl if they were going to get anyone. I swear this girl must be polishing one of the band members' wood. That's the only explanation I can imagine for this utterly amateur female "singer". It's like this band is trying to do everything it can to make itself unlistenable despite the musical talent they have.

Aside from the female vocalist though, this pretty much sounds like the debut. Energetic melodic riffing with a lot of skill and a sort of horror vibe to the lyrics. As it's pretty much the same thing though and not as good their shtick got tired for me pretty quick. If I want to listen to them I can just throw on the debut and here the same basic album without the bad female singing. If you don't have anything by Widow then get the debut and pass on this one. The music is good, but this band has some glaring problems.

Highlights: An American Werewolf In Raleigh, Dead End

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment