Sunday, September 16, 2012

Venom - Metal Black

Blackened Thrash
Sanctuary
2006






1. Antechrist
2. Burn in Hell
3. House of Pain
4. Death & Dying
5. Rege Satanas
6. Darkest Realm
7. A Good Day to Die
8. Assassin
9. Lucifer Rising
10. Blessed Dead
11. Hours of Darkness
12. Sleep When I'm Dead
13. Maleficarvm
14. Metal Black

Venom is a name that hasn't mattered to me and a lot of other fans in a long ass time, but this album has been getting a good deal of buzz based on the sample of Antechrist they've been plugging. Though I thought the sample was great I must admit some skepticism. Any time a band uses a gimmicky name like Metal Black and hasn't done anything good in a long time... you have to be nervous.

For once though, a band has made good on their promises. This truely is a bounce back for the band in terms of quality and style. While this isn't Exactly like old Venom, it's heavy, it's raw, and it's in your face. In a way it sort of reminds me of a blend of the more mid-paced stuff on South Of Heaven/Seasons era Slayer and Exodus' latest. The forceful vocals of Cronos really drive this one along and the music is, for the most part, pretty intense and thrashy. There are some slower parts in the album though which I have to say I generally find weak. It drags down the rating here for me a little, but it's mostly mixed with the heavier and I don't find it too bad. Notable in that regard though is the track House Of Pain which is pretty well plodding, totally boring crap throughout and should have been excluded from the final cut. This is a serious case of me always wanting to hit track forward. One slow track which works exceptionally though and may be my favorite on the album is Hours Of Darkness which is total Seasons/South Slayer made rawer and mixed with some egyptian sounding guitar. Killer atmosphere on that one as it just sounds very dark.

In short, this is the best thing Venom has done in years and I think this one may just make the band a contender in the metal scene again. This is just the dose of raw aggression that Venom needed.

Highlights: A Good Day To Die, Hours Of Darkness, Antechrist

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment