Saturday, September 29, 2012

Slayer - World Painted Blood

Thrash Metal
American
2009






1. World Painted Blood
2. Unit 731
3. Snuff
4. Beauty Through Order
5. Hate Worldwide
6. Public Display Of Dismemberment
7. Human Strain
8. Americon
9. Psychopathy Red
10. Playing With Dolls
11. Not Of This God

I was tempted to stamp the genre of this review 'brainless sort of thrash metal' before I even listened to this one. I'm not sure why I still check out new Slayer albums at all. I'm also not sure when the last time was, if ever, that this band had an original idea. Yeah I enjoyed their classic albums, like most, so I keep giving these a listen looking for some of the magic that touched songs like Angel of Death.

Nope... none of that here. I'm just gonna be blunt and tell you this is pretty shitty. I don't really care enough to mince words or make this review sound particularly fancy. If you've heard a Slayer filler track than you have heard this album. There's just nothing good about this. The songs are painfully predictable, the leads unimpressive, the shouting of Tom Arya standard and uninteresting. Hell, even the sound of the album is hollow and doesn't sound all that heavy. I'm not sure what World Painted Blood succeeds at other than making obsessive fanboys buy mediocre material to keep them in some cash. If you've got half a brain cell rattling around in your skull than this is not the album for you.

I think that pretty much wraps up this review. This is nothing new and this is nothing good. In a way I've almost gotta give it to Slayer though. They sure have milked limited songwriting ability into a career and hardcore following. Not sure how you do that. I guess you act tough and yell a lot about Satan. Other bands do this though and don't enjoy the same success. Not sure what their secret it.

Highlights: No

Rating - 0.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment