Friday, September 28, 2012

Saint Deamon - In Shadows Lost From The Brave

Power Metal
Frontiers

2008






1. The Exodus
2. My Judas
3. In Shadows Lost From The Brave
4. My Heart
5. The Burden
6. No Mans Land
7. Ride Forever
8. Black Symphony
9. Deamons
10. The Brave Never Bleeds
11. My Sorrow
12. Run For Your Life

Recently this band came to my attention because they were added to the lineup of ProgPower USA 08 and as I will be attending this show I wanted to familiarize myself with all the bands. What I didn't realize until I looked them up and listened to them is that this is the new band of a vocalist I was already very much a fan of. Jan Thore Grefstad, until the recent split, had sung on Highland Glory's albums who I think are also quite underrated. Of course, it remains to be seen how they'll do without Jan at the helm, but that's a story for another review.

This simple bottom line of this review has to be I'm really glad I decided to give this one the time. Jan has not lost a step and has surrounded himself with some excellent musicians and songwriting. There is something really exciting about hearing a debut from a band that just hits the mark as they become a new potential source for good music and that's what this one does for me. What we have on this album is basically straight up and melodic euro style power metal in the vein of bands like Thunderstone, Machine Men, Mob Rules, Bloodbound, etc coupled with some epic/fantasy metal sounding moments. Not a lot of edge, but there is a great deal of power, memorable and epic choruses, and flowing atmospheres driven along by vocals both wailing and emotive. Certainly, there's nothing stylistically to reinvent the wheel here, but what this band does they do well. Unsurprisingly, the band is signed to Frontiers records which often takes on bands that lean toward the more melodic side of metal and I'm sure this band will find a good home and it's audience there.

Basically, if you're into this sort of melodic euro-power than you owe it to yourself to give this new blood a shot. Especially vocally, this is one fine performance and the songs just work. I'll be looking forward to seeing these guys live myself.

Highlights: My Judas, No Mans Land, The Burden, Ride Forever

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment