Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Primal Fear - Seven Seals

Power Metal
Nuclear Blast

2005






1. Demons & Angels
2. Rollercoaster
3. Seven Seals
4. Evil Spell
5. The Immortal Ones
6. Diabolus
7. All For One
8. Carniwar
9. Question Of Honour
10. In Memory

After the lackluster attempt at experimentation that was Devil's Ground and all the talk of this being a stylistic leap for Primal Fear, I've gotta say I was very worried for the future of PF. Speculation as to what this album would sound like was rampant and ranged as far as the band going in a nu-metal direction. Well... this certainly isn't nu-metal... but it's likely to suprise Primal Fear fans. Hell I am one and it suprised me.

I think going into this album you have to keep a slightly open mind. If you go into this one expecting nothing but ripping speed and screaming highs then you're probably not going to like this album. For Primal Fear this is pretty mid-paced with more mid-range in the vocals. Instead of going for blazing speed this album focuses much more on melodic hooks and suprisingly emotive singing. Some very subtle orchestration works itself in the backround as well and serves to add emphasis to points in the songs. I'm reminded of Sinner's more melodic material a bit listening to this and Mat Sinner revisits the song A Question Of Honor with PF here. The cover of sorts comes off very well and is pretty representative of the sound on this disc. This is totally not what I normally look for in a Primal Fear album but it all works out extremely well. Suprising is definetely the word I'd use if I only use one for this review.

One thing is for sure listening to this... they have succeeded in their aim to expand their sound and make an album which doesn't sound like the others. This is just a much better, less awkward attempt at mixing things up than Devil's Ground was. The only real nitpick I have with this album is that it would have been nice if they still included some speedy rippers on here. There are some heavy tracks to be found but really no real Black Sun or Lightyears From Home sort of stuff. In the future it'd be nice if that sort of song is not entirely forgotten but it's hard to complain when all the songwriting here is so solid. The only track I don't like is Carniwar which is the seemingly obligatory lame inclusion. Primal Fear is back... albeit in a slightly different form. I can see this one becoming one of my favorite PF albums.

Highlights: All For One, Demons & Angels, Rollercoaster, The Immortal Ones

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment