Friday, September 28, 2012

Poisonblack - A Dead Heavy Day

Gothic Metal
Century Media
2008






1. Intro
2. Diane
3. Left Behind
4. Bear The Cross
5. A Dead Heavy Day
6. Me Myself And I
7. X
8. Human-Compost
9. The Days Between
10. Hatelove
11. Low Life
12. Only You Can Tear Me Apart

Poisonblack started off as a fairly different band than what it has become, but of course that was before the breakup of Sentenced and the exit of the first album's singer. Ever since that I think it's safe to call Poisonblack Ville Laihiala's continuation of Sentenced. Really though I have no complaints as I wasn't ready to say farewell to the great sound of Sentenced nor to Ville's voice.

A Dead Heavy Day shouldn't surprise anyone who heard Lust Stained Despair really as this album is pretty much more of the same. There's no real surprises here as the music rolls along in energized goth rock fashion, keeping things dark and somewhat somber but never getting too bogged down. Sentenced fans should be pleased and I think that's pretty much what is being aimed for here. I can't imagine Ville think's hes reaching outside the box on this album, but it's not always necessary to reinvent the wheel. What this album does is establish a mood while still keeping things headbangable and I for one enjoy what I'm hearing. The songs are in a familiar mold, but all can be distinguished with their own identity and they stick with me.

I wouldn't say this band can yet (if ever) match Sentenced at their best, but I still like having new music in this vein to listen to and I think most Sentenced fans would agree. If you liked Ville in Sentenced than Poisonblack is worth your time.

Highlights: Bear The Cross, Left Behind, Diane, The Days Between

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment