Saturday, September 15, 2012

Outworld - Outworld

Heavy Progressive
Replica
2006






1. Raise Hell
2. Riders
3. Warcry
4. Outworld
5. The Never
6. City Of The Dead
7. Prelude To Madness
8. The Grey Tide
9. I Thanatos

Outworld is the new band of Rusty Cooley who I guess made somewhat of a name for himself previous to this band with a guitar shred album of his own and some instructional stuff. Can't say I was familiar with him before this album though and decided to check it out on recommendation.

Well I'm glad I did. This may be the year for new bands it seems. Between this, Angtoria, and The Dogma I'm a bit staggered as debuts seem to be hitting me harder than some of my favorites have this year. It's sort of an encouraging thing as metal was seeming a bit stagnant lately and new blood is a good thing... especially when they're not totally rehashing the old.

Outworld's sound is progressive but perhaps not in the traditional way that many have become accustomed to. This is no light, jazzy band and you're not going to be hearing any Dream Theater or Queensryche clonage in this album. If that's what you want to hear done for the billionth time than look elsewhere. The sound on this album sort of reminds me of Biomechnical meets Symphony X. This album boasts an extremely heavy guitar sound with wailing vocals that are somewhere between the melodic singing of Urban Breed and the wailing of Rob Halford circa Painkiller. In addition to that there is a considerable amount of virtuso style soloing that very much reminds me of Michael Romeo. The soloing is almost excessive but it doesn't bother me like it usually does in this sort of band... I think because it has the crushing riffs to back it up. I'm really digging this latest move toward beefing up progressive metal riffs and making prog metal that you can truely headbang to. Recommended to any fans of bands I mentioned but especially people who enjoy this new school of heavy progressive like Biomechanical and Communic.

Highlights: The Grey Tide, Warcry, Raise Hell, Outworld

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment