Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Masterplan - Aeronautics

Melodic Power
AFM

2005





1. Crimson Rider
2. Back For My Life
3. Wounds
4. I'm Not Afraid
5. Headbanger's Ballroom
6. After This War
7. Into The Arena
8. Dark From The Dying
9. Falling Sparrow
10. Black In The Burn

With an impressive debut and one of the best vocalists in metal today on board, I think it's safe to say expectations regarding this album were high. The debut received large amounts of critical praise and I see nothing less on the way for this one. Their sophmore release offers no big changes in sound, but why mess with a winning formula so soon? What we end up with here is a very solid collection of melodic, catchy power metal drenched in atmosphere in the same sort of vein. I do think however that the songwriting has improved and shows the band growing further together as a unit. This release says with some certainty that Masterplan is a band that's here to stay. There just isn't a weak track to be found on this release and the musicianship is top notch. I'd be suprised if this didn't end up somewhere high in the best albums of the year... and it's only January.

Highlights: Back For My Life, I'm Not Afraid, Headbanger's Ballroom, Dark For The Dying

Rating 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment